21.4.10

Wangechi Mutu


Pictures are super super inadequate, especially in this case after having seen the actual in real life a few hours ago much much larger - but this work in particular reminded me of Aurel Schmidt's work that I posted earlier this week. And I'm sure both are 100x better in person. The above is "This You Call Civilization" by Wangechi Mutu.
And I just have to say - I absolutely love Wangechi Mutu's art. The wounded wall, the extreme collage, the hybrid sexualities, everything - very cyborg-theory Donna Haraway - and so visceral. If you ever get the chance, see her work. Unfortunately we're hoarding it all to ourselves at the AGO right now.
Here are some related links and more photos if you're interested.
1
2


1 comment:

  1. I saw her art a few weeks ago in Vancouver, along with works by other artists representing the body and different meanings and interpretations of it in our society. I thought her work was the most interesting. Funny how once I see something once, I start reading about it everywhere. I'd never heard of her until that art exhibit.

    ReplyDelete